Tuesday, September 22, 2015

ArtBots


ArtBots are an easy introduction to STEAM. They are very simple to make, and touch on Science: Circuits, Movement, Balance; Engineering: Designing and building the robot; Technology, and Art. ArtBots can be used incorporation with Project-Based Learning.   





Like many art teachers I try to make some time to look for new ideas for my art program. There are several blogs that I often look at, many which are listed on the left side of my site. I also search the massive collective that Pinterest has to offer. I like to vary what I am looking for from different mediums, cross-curriculum projects, and technology. 

At some point during the past year I stumbled upon ArtBots and BristleBots (that is another post). I don't remember the first time I saw one, but I do remember wanting to try it out. They are a perfect blend of Science, Technology, and Art. And come on we are talking about robots!



#DotDay15 ArtBot Video




ArtBots Supply List


ArtBots are not completely free, but you can make them with little cost. Best of all you can use them again and again.


  • Most materials are easy to collect.
  • Reuse containers to save on cost.
  • Get creative with electronics.

Electronics

  • Old motors
  • Electric Toothbrush (Dollar Store)
  • Personal Fan (Dollar Store)
  • Video Game Controls
  • Pagers
  • Radioshack (Can get pricey)
  • Anything that spins or shakes.

Construction
  • Batteries
  • Tape
    • Masking
    • Duct
  • Pool Noodle or container
  • Markers
  • Rubber Bands
  • Wire
  • Aluminum Foil


Decorating

  • Pipe Cleaners
  • Wiggly Eyes
  • Buttons, etc.
  • Scrap Paper




VERY IMPORTANT!!

By adding an eccentric or off center weight to the motor you make it shake. That rocking motion allows our bots to draw. 

If you weight is to small, your bot will not dance, if it is to heavy, your motor will not spin.



Here are some images from my latest builds, and from the last workshop I taught.





In this video I am explaining one of my ArtBot creations.








O
ther Resources

https://cheshirelibraryscience.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/program-34-artbots/

http://handmadekidsart.com/art-bot-art-projects-kids/



No comments:

Post a Comment